Did you know black cats get adopted less than cats of other colors? It’s true. Statistics prove it. So, in an effort to help get more wonderful black cats out of shelters and into loving homes, cat rescues and shelters across the country are celebrating Black Cat Appreciation day. It’s Sunday, August 17, and cat lovers everywhere can celebrate by adopting a new furry friend!
The folks at The New Rochelle Humane Society are celebrating the event, but they’re taking it even farther with Black Cat Appreciation Week! It runs from August 16 through August 23. For eight days they will be offering a 50% discount on the adoption fee for black cats and black & white (Tuxedo) cats.
Looking for a reason to adopt a black cat? Here are 9 just to get you started . . .
- Cat hair won’t show up on your black evening gown.
- Black cats are easy to find in the snow.
- Cats are good for the heart and good for the soul.
- Dreaming of a black cat will bring good luck. And let’s face it, if you have your own black cat, you’re more likely to dream about a black cat!
- If you’re a single woman, black cats are thought to bring many suitors. (Japanese folklore)
- A black cat on your doorstep means prosperity will follow. (Scottish folklore)
- You can put a sign up on your front door saying “beware of panther.”
- Black goes with anything.
- They’re cats – and cats are cool!
So, are you convinced it’s time to adopt a new best friend – a black cat? If you’re in the New York City area, head on over to The New Rochelle Humane Society before August 23 and tell them you want to give a deserving black cat a forever home. It’ll be good for you, good for the kitty, and good for the shelter!
Thanks to Cat Wisdom 101 for making sure we found out about this event!